Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Failures Four, The Fergussonians, and Rising India

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

Chinese proverb


I have had better moments. Currently I am worried about housing for the upcoming academic year, with 48 hours until the deadline for applications. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem, but as American University must make even the most basic functions an unnecessarily bureaucratic and impossible procedure I find myself unable to log into the system, as it believes that the password I am submitting is incorrect. It's not. Solution Numero Uno was of course to attempt to reset the password. Unfortunately, that is impossible, as the username itself is apparently unrecognized. No worries, there just so happens to be a guest tab in which one can register a new account! The day is saved! Hooray!

Alas, I cannot use my email address, despite the fact that it is not recognized, as my email is already in use. Yes, you read it correctly. The system will not let me use an email address that it does not recognize because it is in use somewhere in the very same system. Adios, solution Numero Dos, and hello solution Numero Tres. Time to create a new email account. Not rocket science, but either there are several dozen people with the same name as me (unlikely, considering the rarity of my surname), or people just happen to name their email addresses in ways that bear no resemblance to their own name but a considerable similarity to mine. Finally, a working username is found. Almost there, Numero Tres!

But it is sadly not to be, for lo, the system claims that my new e-identity is already committed. This is impossible, as I just created the entity a few seconds ago, but at this point I am throwing in the hat. Technology is something that I use with fluency, but understanding its modus operandi is something else entirely. At any rate, Mr Moody, the executive director of AU Housing and Dining, just responded to my email, and expressed his regret over my unfortunate conundrum. Does this mean that Lukeji will at last be saved? Given Moody's track record, I would assume not, but ever the optimist I will wait for the final curtain to applaud or hiss. 

Now then, it is time for a little frolic in the realm of persuasion. Thanks to my all powerful go go gadget Droid (a supreme technological marvel at the time of this writing), calling to the US has never been easier (or more expensive), but in times like these one must indeed make a few sacrifices. Call to AU Housing and Dining for the final epic showdown. Justice will prevail. 

Generally in India, reception is pretty good thus far, but today, for some unknown reason, the sound quality is so poor that the individual on the other end is barely distinguishable. It is the same for her. She communicates that she has forwarded the email to her peers, and transfers me to a member of the AU technologically gifted support squad. He cannot hear a word that I say, and solution Numero Cuatro fails in the same way as its predecessors. A call to the parents and a brief and frustrated explanation is next in store. The only problem is that a large part of the United States has been owned by a large snowstorm. From what I understand, internet is down back home, and, were it not for that ever useful back up generator, electricity would be too. Though I have alerted the hero parents to the situation, it may be a few more hours before they can take action to remedy my catastrophic plight. 

My rant has now concluded, and I do feel better. Apart from the AU issue to be dealt with later, today was a productive and entertaining day. The highlight, Panorama of Cultures 2011, was a multicultural show put on by the international students at Fergusson College. I had the chance to observe a few Afghani dances and one phenomenal Persian guitarist before rushing back to Issues in Political and Economic Development, and then I returned in time to witness the grand concluding numbers. Following the performances I went to the reception afterwards and spoke with a few of the dancers. I was particularly intrigued by three young men who gave their country of representation as Iraqi Kurdistan. Kurdistan, a region that extends into Turkey as well, became a potential reality in the postwar three state solutions advocated by some of the United States top military brass, but obviously its international recognition has yet to materialize. I was impressed to learn that despite the lack of recognition or formal sovereignty, Kurdistan already has in place a well functioning state apparatus. Our brief conversation was a reminder that a national identity, a concept that I naturally take for granted, is in many parts of the world yet being formed through the clash of differing ideals, political struggles and diplomatic posturing. 

In all, 36 different countries were represented, many of which still are still defining their relationship with the United States. The Panorama of Cultures was a magnificent display of the unity in diversity that so characterizes the Indian mentality. At the end of the performances, the national anthems of each country were played. I had not heard many of them before, and was struck in particular by the national anthem of Afghanistan. The Mistress of Ceremonies concluded the entire program with the mantra of Fergusson College, which sounded quite familiar to me: "Once a Fergussonian, Always a Fergussonian." Original. But cliched school motto aside, Fergusson College should be proud. Today was a celebration of culture, at which India was at the forefront. And the legacy of Fergusson College is equally impressive; the university is highly esteemed for its concentration on the social services, and is the training ground for the future leaders of India, being the alma mater of two former presidents. When this generation comes to power in a few decades, I have no doubt that Indian leadership will continue to play a dynamic and far reaching role in the global community. In their own language, the Indians say "Vande Mataram," or "I bow to thee, Mother," in a manner that is startling in its passion and admirable in its conviction. It is simultaneously an expression of the rising pride in Indian achievement over the past half century, acknowledgement of her rich traditions, and irresistible confidence in the future of one of the oldest and greatest civilizations on this earth. 

Vande! Mataram!
Vande! Mataram!
Vande! Mataram!




1 comment:

  1. one correction: the generator was not working. so there was no heat in the house from 9PM until the following afternoon of the next day. When you called, I was shovelling mounds of snow to stay warm. yes, things were bad. but luckily our land line was in working order, and the ipad had just enough charge to get onto the portal. can't wait to see you!
    love
    glenda

    ReplyDelete